Monday, September 19, 2016

THE NEBUCHADNEZZAR TRAP

The Nebuchadnezzar Trap

(This was published by Pastors 4 Pastors Last Week)

When I was a young pastor I decided to look for a mentor. I wanted to learn from a more experienced pastor. When I sat down over coffee with the man I thought would become my mentor, he completely surprised me. He informed me that he was retiring from the ministry in a few months.
Sad to say, the end of his ministry was not joyful. In fact, he felt like a failure. He even said this to me. "I always thought that I would pastor a large church with a large choir. I did not think I would be stuck in small churches."
I walked away from the meeting with a deep concern for my new friend. For whether you feel like a success or like a failure, when we judge others or ourselves by worldly standards we fall into what I call "The Nebuchadnezzar Trap." Let me explain.
Remember in Daniel 4, Nebuchadnezzar was walking on the roof of his palace and looked out over the city of Babylon. He then said this to himself. "Look, at this wonderful city. I built it with my own hands." (my paraphrase) At that moment God struck Nebuchadnezzar with mental illness until he had a change of heart.
At this point someone might protest. "Why was God so hard on Nebuchadnezzar?" Perhaps there are many reasons why God was so hard on Nebuchadnezzar. I get the idea from the text that God loved Nebuchadnezzar. God loved him enough to discipline him.
But there is one thing we must learn from this passage. This lesson is important for every pastor and every Christian to learn and understand.  God will not share his glory with another person.
Nebuchadnezzar had little concern about God's kingdom. He was only concerned about his own kingdom. He did not acknowledge that his abilities, strength, and knowledge came from God. He therefore glorified himself rather than God. That's why God was so hard on Nebuchadnezzar.
The Apostle Paul had a different attitude. He made this statement about himself in I Corinthians 15:10. "By the grace of God I am what I am..." Since Paul saw his salvation and ministry as a work of God's grace, he glorified God rather than himself.
Pastor, let me raise this question to you. "Are you building God's kingdom or your own kingdom?" The answer is often found in how we talk about ourselves and our ministry.
Do you talk about your life and ministry like Nebuchadnezzar? "Look what I have done with my own hands? Look at how great I am." Or do you talk about your life and ministry like the Apostle Paul? "Look at what God has done through me. To him be glory and honor."  
Imagine for a moment this was your last day on earth. "How would you evaluate your life and ministry?" I would like to apply what Jesus said about himself to my own life in John 17:4. "I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do."
Remember my pastor friend? He needed to be reminded of this one important fact. If your mission is to glorify God in whatever he has given you to do, even if it is the smallest ministry on earth, then you are not a failure in God's kingdom.
There is a hymn that I have not heard sung for many years. Besides the scriptures this hymn has helped me check my pride which I need to do every day. Let me share the words with you. Please make a special note of the third stanza.
"Father, I know that all my life is portioned out for me; the changes that are sure to come, I do not fear to see; I ask thee for a present mind, intent on pleasing thee.
I would not have the restless will that hurries to and fro, seeking for some great thing to do, or secret thing to know; I would be treated as a child, and guided where I go.
I ask thee for the daily strength, to none that ask denied; a mind to blend with outward life, while keeping at thy side, content to fill a little space, if thou be glorified.
In service which thy will appoints there are no bounds for me; my secret heart is taught the truth that makes thy children free; a life of self-renouncing love is one of liberty."
Father, I know
Anna Waring 1850

No comments:

Post a Comment